[Menvi-discuss] Requesting accommodations for college sight reading auditions

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 02:03:30 UTC 2018

Hello, Reahna,

Firstly, congratulations on your admissions to college and preparing for your auditions. I am sure you are excited.
Which college are you attending? I'm wondering if they have good services for students with disabilities? Because, ideally, a good enough service or person who works within those services will be able to accommodate you indirectly but supportively, by sending off the sight-reading scores that every sighted person gets, and transcribing them into Braille music for you to have in advance. Unless, that is, they have a music Braille transcriber in their campus, which, it would be awesome if there was such a thing these days. :)

You may also research the process for which students audition, and if so, do they require scores to be sight-read? And, if that's the case, I am sure that they would just put it in front of you, at random, which, if we're considering accommodations in advance, that would be tricky from a blindness perspective, if you know what I mean.

This is definitely very interesting and I would like to hear how this goes. I know for a fact though, that colleges / universities are supposed to accommodate you by law, even if that means providing a related music transcription agency for free to you. My university where I graduated, for instance, we have an in-house Braille and alternative media / accessibility production lab on campus and we can accommodate every student on the go and as we see fit. Others, though, are not as lucky with that.
But I would start with the disability services at your college, if there's any. And, if you do know Braille music, get connections with a local Braille music transcriber. Also, if your audition requires you to prepare material they want everyone to prepare, you can either request an accommodation in advance, either in Braille or professionally done recordings of the piece(s), so you may practice them.

Best of luck to you.  Have a wonderful evening.

Sincerely,
Humberto

Sent from my iPhone