[Menvi-discuss] Introducing Myself

jeanne50.gallagher at gmail.com jeanne50.gallagher at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 04:17:55 UTC 2020

Hello, everyone,I recently found out about MENVI and joined. My two postings
didn't make it, so I'm trying again.

I just wanted to introduce myself very briefly. I am a lifetime braille
music reader, having earned a B.A. degree in music literature (St. Mary's
College's term for music history) and a M.M. in trumpet some years later. In
between those two, I was certified asa board certified music therapist.
After being fired from my last music therapy position and an extended period
of unemployment, I held a position as a customer service agent for the
government. Now that I'm retired (and loving it), I am studying classical
guitar.

One of the best things my beginning piano teacher did was to make sure we
could both read and write braille music. I still have all my notebooks which
contain trumpet parts from the various ensembles in which I participated.

However, when braille music is not available, and there's no one to read at
a particular time, it does help tremendously to be able to pick up by ear.
Both are important. So far in my classical guitar studies, I have used my
Victor Reader Trek to record notes, chords, and fingerings dictated by my
instructor.

Thank you for reading this. Any comments and/or questions will be greatly
appreciated.

Jeanne Gallagher

Jeanne50.gallagher at gmail.com