[Menvi-discuss] One Place to Explore in Massachusetts for Member of MenVI Experiencing Vision Loss

Jeanne Gallagher jeanne50.gallagher at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 22:36:21 UTC 2020

Hello, everyone,
The other day a message was posted concerning an advocate for braille music who was experiencing progressive vision loss. One place is Carroll Center located in Newton, Massachusetts. The website is carroll.org. There are programs in technology, mobility, preparation for employment, braille, etc. for all levels of vision loss and for all ages. In looking at the list of community partners, I noticed several medical centers. It’s a private, not-for-proffit center, which has funding from the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind, Workman’s Compensation, and other insurance programs.

Although I am congenitally totally blind, if this individual learns Grade One braille along with braille music, I would think that would be enough to start with. Fortunately, I can only think of three contractions in the various tempo markings—en in Lento, st in Maeostoso, and Ar in Largo. In fact, for transcribing music for a new braille reader, I would think that these contractions would not even be necessary.

Hope this helps. I don’t know if braille music is offered at Carroll Center, but I’m sure this individual can get plenty of help from one of us. I, for one, would be more than willing to help in whatever way I can.

Sincerely,
Jeanne Gallagher
Jeanne50.gallagher at gmail.com

Sent from Mail for Windows 10