[Menvi-discuss] following a conductor

Jordie Howell jordina.howell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 01:32:42 UTC 2014

Hello,

Another point I would add for singers, in addition to tapping on the hand which can be of great importance with a sustained piece where the beat is not always evident, is that you might want to avoid singing a hard consonant at the end of a phrase if you aren’t entirely sure of the exact moment to cut off.  Some conductors are also quite audible when indicating entries with a soft introductory count-in, an inhalation or even sniff so that coming in on time is made much easier when you can’t see the beat.  I think a dialogue with the conductor is always the safest option though.

Good luck,

Jordie