[Menvi-discuss] In need of persuasive braille music vibes for wayward education planners

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 18:17:04 UTC 2013

Hello,
You can't do classical music theory, jazz music theory or any in depth
quality music theory on a competitive level without Braille music.
If she ever wants to do anything with music later on she needs Braille
music or she will be viewed as the poor blind musician who needs to be
spoon fed all her music (Yes, being spoon fed is the term musicians use
to describe learning by ear).
Ask any professional musician why print music is important. Take what
they say and multiply that importance by 2. Because she is blind she
needs to be on the ball for learning any new piece she is handed and
can't just be handed a piece of music, she has to know it in and out.
She needs to be able to say: Vas ist Sylvia. Is in the key of F, 4/4. My
first measure is A3 half dotted, f3 quarter. Measure two is f3 quarter,
e3 quarter, quarter rest. The words for that line of music are: Vas ist
Sylvia.
I know that because I memorized the music off the page and didn't use my
ear to count or get notes. For Ombra mai fu that I learned by ear, I
have no idea how long the first note is. I know it is an A3, but I just
hold it till I hear my queue in the music.
Because when one is performing correctly they are counting themselves,
and not taking their queues off the music, learning by ear is like
learning a map by having it described to you. A picture paints a
thousand words and a recording is the distilled output everyone hears.
You don't see all the details when you are being described a picture,
you only get what you know to ask about.
  If you want another example, A computer program is thousands of lines
of code, even a simple application has tons of code. One can't create a
copy of that program without reading that code. If there is a message
that pops up after the program has been idle for 5 min its, there is no
way to know that message will show up without trying it first. If you
don't have all the same features in your program as the original, it
isn't the same program, it is different.

If I have any mis spellings in this message it is because I didn't here
them with my screen reeder. This message sounds perfect and is perfect
spelling wize. It isn't important to know how to spell because everyone
nos wat ai am trying to sei.
My voice teacher's motto is:
"Music is nothing but precise."
lurning by ere is anything but procyse.