[Menvi-discuss] questions about opening up a piano studio out of my home

Brian Howerton bshowerton1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 20:04:49 UTC 2013

Hello all,
I am really considering opening up a piano studio out of my home because I need the extra money.  In the last several months, I have really been working to teach myself how to read braille music using the course that Dancing Dots publishes and also I am in the middle of the hadley braille music course.  I took a little break from the braille music because of getting married, but now that I have gotten all of my music setup in my new house, I am basically setting myself a goal to really work on my sight reading over the next two months so that I can start teaching.  I feel that I am definitely understanding the braille music code for the most part so that is good, and I feel that I could definitely start by teaching rom those foundational beginning piano music books, but my question is what are some of you who have piano studios of your own using for teaching?  I am totally new to teaching but have been playing piano for 25 years, so I just don't know what is out there and available for us in braille.  Just wanted to see what others were using who are doing this.  Any other tips would definitely be appreciated for someone just getting ready to get started in this for the first time.  Thank you so much,
Brian