[Menvi-discuss] questions about wopen's chorus

Dale Lieser dale.lieser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 20:58:14 UTC 2013

Use the transit and sighted guide.

-----Original Message-----
From: Menvi-discuss [mailto:menvi-discuss-bounces at menvi.org] On Behalf Of
Bettie & Bill Downing
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2013 4:42 PM
To: This is for discussing music and braille literacy
Subject: Re: [Menvi-discuss] questions about wopen's chorus

The only thing I can help you with is the transcribing.  You need to be
independent on this and ask him for the music, scan it, PDF it and send it
to the transcriber yourself.  Since this is a community group you will
probably get no monetary help here as you would in a school setting.  Don't
worry about the copyright as you are the only one using it and it isn't
being sold.  Your transcriber will work with you as to price.  Many of us
braille gratis when the situation warrants.

On Aug 9, 2013, at 3:36 PM, Kelsey Nicolay wrote:

> Hello,
> I will be joining a women's chorus soon.  I just had a conversation with
the director and he seemed really nice and excited to have me come.
However, I have a couple questions on which I would like your opinion.
First, rehearsals are on Friday evenings from 5:30 to 6:30.  My family and I
usually go to our camper then, so my mom would have to stay home until 5:30
and depend on my dad to pick me up and bring me down to the camper.  Since
we have a door to door transit system that runs until 5:00, I could take
that, but my mom does not want me to take it since rehearsal starts at 5:30
and I would have to get there at 5:00 or even 4:30.  What do you think? Is
it better to take the transit and just get there early and deal with it or
make my mom stay home until I go to rehearsal? My sister said she can take
me and pick me up sometimes, but she is a nurse and worked night shift.
Also, what do you think about the use of sighted guide in a rehearsal
setting or going sighted guide with the person who brings you to rehearsal?
I do have a cane, but I am going to be honest in admitting that it is just
faster to be guided by my parents or friends.  I have had experiences in
college choir where I had my cane with me but kept it folded and the
directors assumed I was sighted because without my cane open they said I
didn't look blind and therefore felt that I could learn breathing and vowel
concepts without needing to be shown physically.  How can I ensure that I
don't have the same experience with this director, in other words, should I
be walking into the rehearsal using my cane so he knows I cannot see? If it
helps, the director teaches vowel modification technique.  Is this technique
something that I can pick up without needing him to show me physically? I
think the biggest problem I am faced with though is how I am going to get my
music transcribed into Braille.  He seemingly does not have an email address
since he prefers people to call him instead.  Therefore, how should I handle
this? Should I ask him if I can get the music from him before the first
rehearsal and scan it myself and email it to a transcriber or should I ask
that he mail copies of the music to my transcriber? My fear is that it will
take much longer this way.  Plus I am worried about copyright.  Also, does
it help in my relationship with him that his neighbor cuts my hair? Would he
be more willing to help me obtain my Braille scores, help me understand the
techniques he teaches the group, etc since I already have a connection in
place? My hair stylist told him about me and that I was blind, but I don't
know what else she told him.  I am in a community group as well, but I was
able to get my music electronically and it's already transcribed so that
group shouldn't be too much of a problem.
> Thanks,
> Kelsey Nicolay
>
> Please visit www.menvi.org/donate.html  to make a voluntary contribution
to MENVIs work.
> -
> ---------

change your delivery, or set any other options available to you, please view
the list information page below.  Should you have any questions, please
contact the owner of the list.