[Menvi-discuss] Some ideas for software tools

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 21:12:34 UTC 2013

Hello,
I have been telling sighted people for years that they need to stop
reading the very inefficient written language and move to listening to
Voice Over or even better screen readers, but I know a total of 0
sighted people who have actually opened a book and listened to a whole
book all the way through when it is not a human reading. They have
never gotten to the point to where the words are going by so fast that
reading becomes something not unlike a movie with the most vivid
pictures, smells and sounds scrolling through their mind.
I have however read print, Braille, IPA and many of their variants and
believe reading has its place, but not in books or computers. Labels
yes, music yes, signs perhaps but less so now we are coming out with
computerized cars, name tags yes, labels yes. But not much more than
that. And this ridiculous spelling words where ridiculous can be
pronounced 5 different ways is so impractical it makes me cringe! IPA
and Italian have the idea right.

But in music textbooks the amount of musical examples is crazy and the
examples are really short and mostly simple. This is an escape tone,
this is a passing tone... Just hearing the examples would be like
someone looking at a picture of a face rather than seeing the person's
face in real life. They both have their advantages and disadvantages,
but it is a lot easier to be reading a description of a person's face
and just look at a picture rather than read a description and see the
real thing.
I would jump at the opportunity to have sound inserts in books and it
would most certainly make me want to read my theory textbooks. (read
to me means the interpretation of sensory retrieved data into my
mind). I can prove that learning most things in school by ear works
because I graduated high school with a 4.2 GPA and carry a 3.98 GPA in
college, so it is a moot point on what medium one inputs data into
their mind.
If I really wanted to, I could memorize my song from hearing it in
words, but it would be very annoying and time consuming.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs

--
Brandon Keith Biggs