[Menvi-discuss] Some ideas for software tools

Stephanie sim.musicschool at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 05:23:58 UTC 2013

Hi Marc,
Thanks so much for your message.  I too am thankful for the
options out there, but am finding it difficult to use them at
this time.
In the early days, I used a programmed called mup (music
publisher programme) which worked well but took some setting up.
Then I used sibalius with jaws.  Since switching to a mac
however, I'd not had the means of notating music for my students
or composing for our choir.  I miss that greatly, and wish there
was an option that was cross-platform.
I also feel there needs to be a way for a sighted student to
notate their theory and have it come out in braille music form.
I know there is software for windows, but nothing for the mac.
And don't forget i-devices.  I have contacted the developers of
symphony, a music notation software for iphone and ipad.  They
said they were hoping to add access for blind people in the next
release.
I feel we need a team of people (blind musicians, and developers)
to test software and work together.  In the past, I written to
various sources about this, and gotten a lot of feedback along of
lines of it not being possible.
So my question to us all is: lets get together on this one and
see if we can create something that can notate music, and other
software that can create braille music on a mac or idevice.
I'd read about muse-score, but found i couldn't use it.
Sib-access was brilliant, but is now out of date.
Looking forward to more thoughts, and working with you all on
this.
Thanks for bringing it up and helping us with this.
Steph