[Menvi-discuss] sightsinging Class

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 03:45:59 UTC 2012

Hi Brandon.

When I took sight singing classes, our professor used to let us jump
down the octave if it got out of range.  The goal of the class is to
teach intervals so that you can sing the exercises in any key.  For
example, I remember once there was an exercise in our book in G major,
which can be a little high, so our teacher put it in D major to make
it easier on us.  We still sung the exercise, learned the intervals,
and counted the rhythms the same.

I don't know what book you're using, but our book divided the chapters
into different skills you were supposed to gain throughout the
chapter.  For example, there is the chapter of minor keys, the chapter
where you learned intervals of a 6th and 7th, and so on.  If your book
is divided like that, it will probably show you the focus of the
class.

I actually think a person with perfect pitch would hate a class like
this because the true pitches are rarely a concern.  :)