[Menvi-discuss] more conducting questions

Risdon, James James.Risdon at rnib.org.uk
Wed Aug 22 09:31:52 UTC 2012

Dear Julie,

Sorry, I'm slightly late on this, but it occurs to me you might get
useful insights into the conducting you are observing by talking to the
leader of the orchestra or any other musicians. What he thinks he is
doing is only one side of the story. How effective he is at conveying
this to the back of the orchestra can only be told by speaking to the
musicians. They may even be watching him or her some of the time...
A surprising number of musicians I know say how unclear some conductors
are, so if you can speak to both after one rehearsal, that might be very
enlightening.
Cheers, james