[Menvi-discuss] intro and questions

Deb B. misslady0971 at att.net
Sun Jun 23 12:11:43 EDT 2019

Hi to everyone,

I’m totally new to the list and usually I wait to see the kinds of questions and subject matter allowed on the list, but I have questions.

First of all, I was trying to put a piece of piano music into braille from an audio course I had used in the past.  The piano used in the course was not in sync with my old piano nor with a keyboard for part of the course.  When I tried to transcribe the notes given by the instructor, I tried transcribing on the braille writer and on the computer.  In the past, I’ve transcribed music but I had been transcribing it from a braille book so I’d have a personal useable copy.  I had no problems.  But transcribing from the audio, I found that it was difficult to know which hand—right or left—would be the longest line, so I couldn’t line up the music for each hand properly.

Is there anyone who has transcribed music on a braille writer without having a braille copy to go by?  Any hints as to the best way to do it properly using a Braille writer?

Maybe this doesn’t make sense when reading it.  But this is my most recent problem.

I’ve got others as well as I found out about Hadley’s discontinuing the music courses about the time I was going to sign up.  I was devastated!!

Then there’s the problem of trying to read Braille music using my braille display.  As I can read only one line at a time, it’s hard to learn both hands.  <g<

I’m so thankful for this list as at least I know where there are others who can either help or know what it’s like to try and grow musically without resources.

Thanks,

Deb B.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10