[Menvi-discuss] Oops--wrong part of Measure 24 for Braille music sign!

Carol Sexton sunshinepa at verizon.net
Sat Jun 22 11:20:43 EDT 2019

Hey I think you are all experts as far as I am concerned because to be quite honest, to tell you the truth, I simply read braille music and there are lots of signs that I am totally unfamiliar with. I guess it is important that I become familiar.

I think the hardest thing for us as blind teachers is to be able to understand the sighted students, to be able to understand how print music notation is laid out. When they do note spellers for example, I simply let them read me their answers and I check their answers by what I have transcribed, Schaum note speller. Do any of you use Schaum. I have used teaching little fingers and the pre a Schaum piano course for eons but what I need to do and especially for adult students, maybe not that it matters so much especially but the thing is, is it really possible to get the pre a books or pre grade books that would be presented in adult fashion if you know what I mean? I know that there are levels one and so on, I copied a list in braille and want to try some of this music that I am not familiar with and I note that there is music for piano duets and maybe even four hands. I know that there are some Kulah sonatinas for four hands and when I get any students that are that advanced, I can learn both parts and then be able to play either part with the student. I would like to find some easy four hand piano pieces that would be at the first grade level so that I could do something with them for fun and play with them and I think playing duets or four hands together can really bolster their confidence don’t you? I am sure that many of you have done this. If you can suggest any books for me like I have described please tell me and thank you.

Carol.