[Menvi-discuss] Sight reading Tips for braille music

Stephanie Pieck themusicsuite at verizon.net
Sun Jun 16 07:07:36 EDT 2019

The way ABRSM handles the sight-reading portion of their exams, which may work for auditions, is that they give the Braille-reading candidate a piece of music and an allotted amount of time to memorize the score before performing it. You can find their exact timings for this for each grade and for diplomas on their website,

www.abrsm.org

Look under “Special Needs” and search for Braille, or Braille memory tests, or extra time.

If you are in an audition and the music hasn’t been prepared ahead of time, you could request that someone read you the score and you Braille it yourself, although this is a rather cumbersome workaround, it might be feasible for audition situations.

As for reading words and music simultaneously, I haven’t found a way to manage this successfully in Braille, although I am somewhat at a disadvantage because I only read with my right hand. If I had to choose between reading lyrics or notes, I would choose whichever part would be more difficult to pick up by ear, which for me would be words. You can study notes while other sections of a chorus are rehearsing, although this is difficult because while you’re trying to internally sing your part in your head, the other section’s part will be getting into your head through listening!

Good luck!

Stephanie Pieck