[Menvi-discuss] Music Theory Question

David Goldstein - Resource Center info2 at blindmusicstudent.org
Wed Jun 5 11:04:39 EDT 2019

Hi Reahna,
I hope your meeting went well. You and your professor may discover you don't have all the answers at the beginning, but I'm sure you figure out workarounds, and as time goes on, you'll discover more solutions and wonder how you managed to do so well at the beginning.The people on the list have given you good advice. One thing I don't think they mentioned is that there are many theory books in braille out there. Some are older editions than what the class will be using, but the editions don't usually change that much except for layout and page numbering. If your professor is as agreeable to working with you as she sounds, she should be able to look up pages in the edition that matches yours and give you the correct ones. Also, there are even more books of standard music repertoir. If you are studying a particular piece, you may be able to find it in another source.
The best resource for helping you do that is the Music Section of the Library of Congress. Several people in the Music Section subscribe to the list and I wouldn't be surprised if you've already had some interaction with them. Always check to see whether something is already availble  before you ask someone to transcribe it. There are a number of sources of music besides NLS. There will be more as time goes on. One way to learn about some of the main ones is from my resource list at
www.blindmusicstudent.org/resource_list.htm
That, of course, is not the only list of resources. This is list is a great place if you're trying to track something down. You don't want to burden the list with too many questions, so do the best you can on your own first. But we are here to help.
Also, there are a number of college theory professors who have taught blind students. If your teacher has questions and it would help to hear their experiences, I'm sure we can find other teachers for her to talk to.

David