[Menvi-discuss] Music Theory Question

ruivilarinhomusic ruivilarinhomusic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 08:25:38 EDT 2019

I totally agree.
 I concluded with success last year the Music Education college course, only possible because further than had to provide evidence of music theory knowledge and  reading music Braille code, it was also imperative to attest the demand of  creating digital and printed scores, to be able to share than to my teachers, mates and students.
I acknowledge Bill’s McCann DancingDots kit as the top and every year I think to buy it.
Although, to be honest I’ve been resolving the editing scores with the assist of the modest BME software where I can edit notation using Braille music code, import and export a XML digital score and print it to Braille or export it as midi.
Yet, I developed the Tablindture, a handy free accessible application that help out me to edit and print tablatures. I can share with any music string instrument player and teacher if one day you need.

Anyhow, indeed this are different and good times, technologic speaking of course!  Grin. Doesn’t matter much what tools we use, the main it’s to achieve the same aim.

How nice is the feeling of independently been able to edit my scores and share them either to blind students or with good vision! But, we must be always be aware of any possible wrong outcome. I mean, having someone with good vision to revise our printed scores should be intelligent since we should not blind trust our knowledge and technology! ! Grin.
 As an example, one day I printed 24 scores and it was a big 12 instruments composition where some voices should be silence for a lot of bars. That was easy to resolve since we have the handy Braille Music Code repetition symbol, right? Well, not really since it was a bit stress  to listen the white noise  my mates moving sheets in search of their parts! Grin. Well, the thing is that when I converted to print all  repeated bars was were in black and white also! Yes, a lot of redundant stuff! Grin. My fault of course.
Another example: it was a hot day, on a stress ear training writing exam. As usual my teacher gave to my friends some sheets and to me a XML digital score edited with the Finale notation programme. The aim was to  listen a quartet and to insert the missing notes and durations. Well, We’ve done  that a bunch of times but that day it was a mess because Finale upgraded the XML version to 3.0 and the BME Braille Music Edit still didn’t upgraded that feature. Well, since I couldn’t open the score  I decided to edit all string quartet, that took me a lot of time but at least I made the exam.
Therefore, on college I read the same scores as my mates but in Braille music code. And regarding writing notation, in the lack of Braille music technicians  I always shared my digital MusicXML or printed PDF scores edited with BME notation programme. A method  that today we believe that was positive since I accomplish the college plan so in that case the profession demanding responsibilities.

Well, for the record, things could be different back home, but indeed exist no music Braille code transcribers, no Braille music code teaching or technicians, well, almost nothing concerning accessible Music  education knowledge.
As some of you know I’m 41 years hold and blind for about 13 and the first blind person I had to learn to socialize was myself! Grin.
I understand that most of blind musicians would probably pick a performer college course instead of Education. Anyhow, I still find it inquisitively that I was the first and only blind person to graduate in this area probably in the last 40 years.
Back home the blind musicians community  still  have a lot of steps  to clime.

Regards, Rui