[Menvi-discuss] My difficulties playing the piano

Christina Robertson cudarobertson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 20:41:51 EDT 2019

Terri Weaver’s finger exercises on the thigh are exactly what I would recommend, and to that I would add very gentle isometric exercises.  I will try to describe them here:
Touch the tip of your right thumb to the tip of your index finger.  Keeping your wrist and your other fingers as relaxed as possible, gently squeeze the tip of your thumb against the tip of your index finger so that you are forming a circle, keeping your index finger and thumb from “buckling.”  Relax.  Repeat.  Relax.  Repeat.
You will never press hard enough to buckle any joints – instead, trust that this is helping to strengthen the muscles.
Then do the same process with the tip of your right thumb against the tip of your middle finger, still forming the circle and still being aware of the relaxing of the wrist and other fingers.  Again, you may not be able to “squeeze” very much, but that is okay.
Then, the thumb and ring finger.
Then, the thumb and pinky.

I hope this helps!

Christina