[Menvi-discuss] Music theory in college

Chris Smart csmart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Apr 16 10:26:07 EDT 2019

Hi there.
I hope you are running Windows on a PC.
If that is the case, I urge you to get a copy of Lime and Lime Aloud,
from Dancing Dots.
You can then produce notation on paper for your professors, for
sighted peers in rehearsals, etc. More information at:
http://www.dancingdots.com/prodesc/limealoud.htm

Sighted folks will also be able to export things in Music XML from
whichever notation program they favor, which you can then load into
Lime and explore with speech and Braille, if you have a Braille
display, or emboss with the Goodfeel music Braille translator.

Yes, you can dictate answers to sighted transcribers, but at least in
my case in college, that only got me so far. Imagine trying to keep
track of two or three voices in your head for a counterpoint
assignment, and slowly dictating that to a sighted assistant, a note
at a time. "No, ok, that B I said should go in the tenor part? Um,
can we make that a 3rd octave A? OH wait, you don't use octave signs
in print..." Imagine doing that for hours! Some can manage it, but
for me, the extra cognitive load was too stressful.

If you do go the dictation route, make sure you have a little
understanding of how things look on the staff to a sighted person,
basically know which notes go on what line or space for the various
clefs, so you can communicate effectively. Sighted folks aren't going
to know anything about octave signs, interval signs, and other
aspects of how we do things in Braille and you need to meet them half
way, especially if they are volunteering their time.

My last tip would be to get Lime and Lime Aloud in plenty of time to
learn how to use it, before classes start. The last thing you want to
be doing is trying to learn brand new software while completing
assignments and meeting deadlines.

Good luck,

Chris