[Menvi-discuss] some problems with music memorization

Eden eden420 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 15 13:56:14 EDT 2019

Thank all of you for your advice. I think my memory has decreased in efficacy as I move into my mid 40s, lol. Yes, I can remember small chunks and then I get lost. I'm a braille music reader but maybe not as fluent as some, I did the Hadley course but something about the layout did not resonate with me so I do the best I can. Listening to a recording helps a little though not a lot, my ear is not the greatest though I'm starting to be better. I can certainly hear when I've hit the wrong note! I learn 2 or 3 pieces at once so as not to get bored, but maybe that's a problem I don't know. I usually take 4 weeks to two months to learn a song 30 to 70 measures long.  These are intermediate pieces I'd say though I've only been playing harp for a year but had some childhood experience with piano that I mostly forgot.
I'm wondering if writing it out in lay language kind of like taking notes would help. Maybe recording each phrase so I get a picture of when things should play in each hand. I really have a hard time playing separately. I can get a whole piece going in both hands then my teacher says play just the right hand  such and such measure then I can't. I don't recall having learning issues like this as a child.   Maybe doing that and humming and working on it away from the harp will help. I just feel like it's daunting sometimes. It frustrates me when I hear about someone learning a piece over the weekend, I wonder will ow ever be that proficient even if I get that good at the harp because of my inability to seem to memorize it all.