[Menvi-discuss] Magnetic Board With Staves

Stephanie Pieck themusicsuite at verizon.net
Wed Jun 20 22:03:20 UTC 2018

Rachel,

Doing a Google search for "magnetic board with musical staff and symbols"
brings up multiple results with good ratings and reasonable prices on
Amazon. I didn't spend too much time browsing, but the first one I looked at
was $14.99--don't get spooked by prices of $600 plus ... read a little
further on the page for the actual price of the product!

A company that offers a lot of interesting music-teaching accessories is
Friendship House.

One last idea is to find large sized flashcards in print and Braille them
for yourself. Even regular-sized sets, like the 72-card packs put out by
Alfred Publishing or Bastien, could be used with some way to magnify them
using a CCTV or regular projector.

For a really wacky way to teach the concept of the staff with lines and
spaces, plus the concepts of intervals, I have "built" a staff using large
sheets of paper spaced on the floor. The papers are the lines; the bare
floor indicates spaces. Having kids "step" from line to space or "skip" from
line to line, or "leap" for any interval of a fourth or more can be fun and
is especially good for high-energy kids.

Hope some of these ideas help.

Stephanie Pieck