[Menvi-discuss] A question regarding ABC notation

Stephanie Pieck themusicsuite at verizon.net
Fri Dec 21 22:49:22 UTC 2018

Merilyn,

To do melodies that begin before the first beat, just write the partial measure and don’t worry about missing beats. You’ll just subtract those beats from the last measure of your song. This way, everything balances out. So for example, if my song is in four-quarter time and the first measure only contains one quarter note, then the last measure of my song will only contain three beats.

To write notes longer than one measure, use whatever note value fills the full measure followed immediately by a dash or hyphen without a space between the note name and the dash. Then add your vertical line to indicate the start of the next measure and continue as needed. So to write a whole note in four-quarter time tied to a dotted half note, you would type where the quarter note is the unit (shown in the tune’s heading as T: ¼):

C- _ c3

Hope this helps.

Stephanie Pieck