[Menvi-discuss] blind musicians with perfect pitch

Beth Smaligo bsmaligo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 18:54:24 EDT 2017

From the chatter about perfect pitch, I'm really glad that if I take on the A clarinet I won't have these issues because apparently I don't have perfect pitch anymore.lol
Elizabeth [Beth] A. Smaligo, B.A., M.A.
Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 18, 2017, at 12:08, Alexandru Cozaciuc via Menvi-discuss <menvi-discuss at menvi.org> wrote:

Another considerable aspect of the perfect pitch is that it is quite difficult to read transposing scores, such as scores for Clarinet in B flat, Saxophone in E flat, Horn in F etc. What I mean by that is that when I read a score for Clarinet which is in F major for example, i usually tend to think of the notes played on the Piano, but when it comes to playing on the Clarinet, I'd say it is a nightmare. More than that, whenever my teacher asked me to play a scale for example, it did take me some time till I found out what he meant by, say, G sharp minor, which on a B flat Clarinet actually sounds like F sharp minor. It was really frustrating that I had no classmate or teacher having perfect pitch and playing a transposing instrument, whom I could have talked about these things with, and so I'm extremely glad that there is such a topic around.
So, What do you think about that? Do you have any tips on these kinds of issues?

Many thanks,
Alex

-----Original Message----- From: Leslie Hamric via Menvi-discuss