[Menvi-discuss] blind musicians with perfect pitch

Karen Gearreald karen118 at cox.net
Mon Sep 18 09:17:23 EDT 2017

Yes, those automatic transposers are killers.  A few months ago at a morning
church service, I started playing the doxology in what I expected to be the
key of G, as I have done hundreds of times.  What I didn't realize was that
because I was using an unfamiliar keyboard, I was dealing with an automatic
transposition feature which had not been readjusted to normal.  My doxology
was therefore sounding in the key of F.  Fortunately the piece was very
short and somehow I survived.  Apparently the congregation did not know that
I was in total panic.  It did sound funny to hear people sing the song in
such a low key, and now I can laugh about the whole experience.  Even
sighted people sometimes forget to readjust the transposer.  A light on the
keyboard reminds them, but they don't always see it.
						Karen Gearreald  .