[Menvi-discuss] Blind music major questions

Stephanie Pieck themusicsuite at verizon.net
Sun Sep 17 21:48:26 EDT 2017

Chris Smart’s answers to all these questions are spot-on, especially the part about self-advocacy and doing your own work. As a music major and then a music teacher and performer who worked primarily with sighted colleagues and students, I also can’t emphasize enough how important it is to know what staff notation looks like. It’s especially important if you plan to teach, as you will be expected to teach something you cannot experience yourself directly, and you’ll have to explain things clearly enough so a student who knows absolutely nothing can find things you are describing.

Borrow the raised-line drawings that accompany “The AB Guide to Music Theory” from RNIB. The drawings (and the book) are excellent. The book is pretty dry—like most theory texts. But the drawings are very clear and include things you won’t find in most basic books—ornaments, unusual note groupings, clefs beyond treble and bass.

And store up tidbits of descriptive information as you go along. I have had piano students ask me about the snowflakes in their music and had to figure out that they were talking about pedal markings. I’ve had other students say that the whole note middle C on its leger line below the bass clef “looks like Saturn”.

In all situations, do your best, whether you excel at something or not. Never use blindness as an excuse to get out of anything, nor as a reason to allow people to assume you will be good at something. There is a wide range of blind musicians out there. Teach people to have high expectations, then set about meeting or exceeding them.

Best of luck!

Stephanie