[Menvi-discuss] blind musicians with perfect pitch

Chris Smart csmart8 at cogeco.ca
Sun Sep 17 10:47:12 EDT 2017

>Perfect pitch, although useful, I think is overrated. and, that's
>from someone who definitely has it. I can hum or sing any note,
>without a reference, very accurately, and name things very quickly
>upon hearing them.  In fact, when attending live jazz concerts, I
>wish I could turn that part of my brain off, and hear the music more
>how others do. In other words, I wish I could stop naming every
>chord as it goes by, every note, and be affected more on an emotional level.

It used to give me real problems when, in sight singing class, our
teacher would say something like "ok, let's sing example 4, but
transposed up a third. Whaaaat? My brain has real trouble trying to
read, say, C E G, but sing F A C.  For this reason, I try to learn
tunes in several keys now, so I'm not as reliant on my pitch memory.

As a friend of mine likes to say, whenever the subject of learning by
ear comes up: absolute pitch just gets you the first note. Relative
pitch can get you every note after that.

Chris