[Menvi-discuss] blind musicians with perfect pitch

Janice Stone rhinogirl414 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 10:14:11 EDT 2017

I don't have perfect pitch, but what I discovered as a teenager was that I
have pretty good pitch memory.  I started playing piano in 2nd grade, and I
can accurately identify the notes in the middle range of the piano - the
ones I use most.  I am now a middle school band director, and I can also
identify notes I've hear often on the various instruments, especially
bassoon and tuba which are the ones I have played most.  French Horn is the
one instrument that I struggle with, probably because it is a transposing
instrument.  I hear the concert pitch, but I need to call the notes by
their written name for my students, and that has always been a challenge
for me.  No other instrument throws me off this way.

If you are looking to develop pitch memory, listening to individual notes
that you play and reinforcing the sound with the note name might help.  The
method you describe seems more of a way to test whether you can identify
the notes or not.

Good luck!

Janice