[Menvi-discuss] any blind orchestra players out there?

BillList1 billlist1 at verizon.net
Thu Sep 14 11:51:01 EDT 2017

Congratulations, Leslie!  That is excellent news.

Whenever I have played in a band or orchestra, I have always liked to have a
paper copy of my braille music on a music stand in front of me.  Of course,
like you, I must memorize the music.  But I find that having the hardcopy
score there is like having a safety net beneath the tight rope on which I am
walking.  If I have a memory lapse, I can quickly refer to it during a time
when I am counting rests or, in a rehearsal situation, when the conductor is
working with other people in the group.

If having formatted braille available on a note-taker device works for you
or others, that's good.  I personally just like having paper there because
batteries not required.

I always liked to get to my place independently using my cane.  Arriving
early helps.  That being said, I don't see anything wrong with soliciting
aid when necessary.

Bill