[Menvi-discuss] from violin to clarinet

Beth Smaligo bsmaligo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 18:55:52 EDT 2017

In emailing a prospective private clarinet teacher, I got an extremely
positive reply, one I did not expect at all. There ARE sighted
teachers who are open to blind students. This teacher and I are now
talking shop and working out lesson logistics. See the excerpt below,
with the name changed to protect privacy. Do not be dismayed in asking
around for a sighted teacher; you just never know who you'll find!

Hi. Great to hear from you! I'd love to take you on as a student.  The
clarinet is a wonderful instrument and I think you will really enjoy
it. Its completely common for me to teach students who have just
received their instrument for the first time and we spend the first
lesson or so just learning to put it together (I just did that this
week with a new student!). I think that is so cool that you have been
encouraged to learn music your whole life. I'd be fascinated to hear
about how braille music works. I'm sure I will have questions about
how best to communicate some things to you, but I'm completely willing
to learn. By the way, I'm not sure if you've heard of him, but there
is a fabulous jazz clarinetist in Pittsburgh named Lou Schreiber who
is also blind. Anyway, great to hear from you, let me know your
thoughts, and we'll talk soon. Sincerely, K
Elizabeth [Beth] A. Smaligo, B.A., M.A.