[Menvi-discuss] Hymns for Church Services

Stephanie Pieck themusicsuite at verizon.net
Fri Sep 1 18:58:03 EDT 2017

I agree wholeheartedly with Karen's comment about knowing which version
appears in the hymnal being used! Another thing I found extremely helpful
was to write detailed notes for myself about the order of service, where my
musical contributions were supposed to go, how many verses of each item I
needed to play, and perhaps of utmost importance, the first few notes or
chords of each item. I've only had a few occasions where my failure to do
this caused a problem, but one of those times is still fresh in my mind
after over thirty years! The pastor of the church I was playing for as a
young teen chose two hymns in the key of E Flat Major. Both happened to
begin with the same chord. My organ teacher at the time emphasized to me how
important it was to know tune names. So I dutifully learned these two hymns
and went to Sunday services armed with only the tune names and my memorized
music. Well, of course I played the wrong melody with the first hymn ... The
pastor came and announced to my father, sitting in a nearby pew, in a rather
loud whisper: "She's playing the wrong hymn!" I'm sure I looked horrified
because the next whispered comment was: "But keep going--it's working!"

Interestingly, I don't trust myself completely to recall the two tune names,
but I think they were "Aurelia" and "Eventide". However, since my example is
not a good one to follow, I'll gladly add the disclaimer that someone with
greater knowledge and an actual hymnbook should check that last "fact"!

Stephanie Pieck

After that,