[Menvi-discuss] Accessible Software for Composing Music

David Goldstein - Resource Center info2 at blindmusicstudent.org
Mon Jan 4 16:38:52 UTC 2016

Hi Melissa,

  How serious is your daughter about composing, and do you think it will be a lasting interest?  I know I have seen your name on the lists before but can't remember the context.

  All the solutions people have given so far are excellent, and pretty much the only ones available if she wants to produce notation.  Since she uses the Mac, I'm concerned that in addition to needing a way to run Windows software on the Mac, she might also need to get the Jaws screen reader, which would add significantly to the costs.  If she just wants the thrill of producing multiple instrument tracks, you might consider something simple, like Garage Band, which I understand is accessible on IOS systems and probably the Mac.  If she does want to produce notation, then she will have to use Lime or Sibelius and get JAWS.  I have heard that people are experimenting using the free Windows screen reader NVDIA with current versions of Sibelius, but I don't think it's stable enough for someone without previous experience with Sibelius and access issues.

  David