[Menvi-discuss] Accessible textbook formats

David Tseng davidtseng at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 18:22:33 EST 2016

Hi Marc,

With regard to images, take a look at
https://viewplus.com/accessible-daisy-svg-graphics-with-viewplus-iveo/

There are a few people working on accessible graphics using SVG. In the
past, graphics have been presented tactally using embossers. I don't see
why that's still not a viable solution. To describe a graphic meaningfully,
you need to require more work for those who do the authoring to express
semantics. With the way math has gone, even with standards in place, the
author usually does the bare minimum to get a good visual result which
doesn't translate into something that assitive tech can work with for
either speech or braille.