[Menvi-discuss] Public School is Denying Braille Music

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Wed Oct 30 13:12:07 UTC 2013

Hi Kelly. The bottom line is is if he doesn't learn braille music early at the same level is his cited peers, he will not be musically literate. What if the cited student was told they couldn't read print music that they can only learn by ear? That wouldn't go over very well. I do not have any knowledge about the law. However, I can tell you from personal experience is a totally blind musician that I wish I had learned braille music earlier. Ever since I started using braille music, I realize the importance of it and it simply puts me on it equal footing with my cited colleagues. It also allows me to be much more independent and figure out my own interpretation of what the composer wanted, rather than relying on someone else's interpretation. I am on another music list through the national Federation of the blind. It's called the national Association of blind musicians. Would it be okay if I forward your message to that list? I just figure the more people that you have to reach out to, the better. If it's not okay, let me know and I can tell you want to go on the web to join this particular list. Good luck.
Leslie

Sent from my iPhone