[Menvi-discuss] NLS, Bookshare and Learning Allie are being threatened by WIPO, if you can buy it, you can't borrow it

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Mon May 27 14:28:31 EDT 2013

Hello,
There is a treaty called WIPO that deals with making materials accessible to
blind people globally. If it goes as intended, NLS, Bookshare and Learning
Allie could become Global, rather than just American.
There are a ton of major organization's who are fighting against this treaty
being passed, and they are going for the idea that if you can buy a book,
you can't borrow it. This means, once a book is made available to the
public, blind people won't have access to download it in an accessible
format from a library. This could also potentially threaten major print book
libraries as well.
Please see below for Bookshare's message. Please sine the Whitehouse's
petition:
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?Benetech/39440e0084/377977e221/4e4438ce56This could
be the best thing since the PC
Thank you,