[Menvi-discuss] Teaching Advanced Analysis

Gillespie, Jeffrey jgillesp at butler.edu
Wed May 22 07:12:10 EDT 2013

Rachel:
You could have students play scores zt the keyboard and talk through formal analysis, or have s recording playing and the student can stop at various places and describe verbally whats going on. Or you could stop the recording And ask specific questions. Check with the Indians University music theory department, because a few years ago they had a blind student go through the entire theory sequence and they used computer programming to do formal analysis for that student through listening and marking points in the recording, I believe. I can see something like possibly working well for a blind teacher. It's worth talking about with someone at IU.

Set theory can easily be done, because it's do abstract, as long as the student clearly identifies the location in the score of the set being labelled. Same with serial analysis. Schenkerian analysis Would be mire problematic because of the graphic analysis involved, depending on how complicated the graphics. If its an undergraduate theory class, you can skip Schenkerian analysis altogether.

Jeff Gillespie

Sent from my iPhone