[Menvi-discuss] Congrats to Julie, Miso and Kaiti, for winning the NFBScholarship!

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Wed May 8 21:56:23 EDT 2013

AHH! Three on this list! LOL this is unbelievable!
I knew no one when I went, now the year I didn't apply, I know 3... That's
just not cool! :D
That makes 5 scholarship winners on this list in the last year. That's
pretty marvelous, how many students are there on this list, and how many
apply for the NFB scholarship each year? That must mean something... :D
Bettie and everyone else who doesn't know, the National Federation For the
Blind scholarship is probably the most prestigious scholarship program in
the country for blind students. They bring 30 people to the convention and
pay everything completely. They then give each person at least $3000 along
with around $1000 in accessible tecnoligy, and another $1000 from other
donors. But when they go for the week, the scholarship committee gets each
one of the students for a day, and the scholarship winner has to impress the
committee and show them that they are a contender for one of the larger
scholarships. They have 2 5 grand scholarships, one 7 grand one 10 grand and
one 12 grand I believe and all the scholarship winners are the best at what
they do. When I went, I was going to bed at midnight, getting up at 7 AM
while being jetlagged and trying to produce my most cheerful self
constantly. One wants to be memorable, but not too far out there. The woman
who won the 12 grand scholarship last year was very quiet, but was very
organized and knew about blind issues in her community and she was able to
present her challenges very well in conversation. My aproach to singing and
being very unique in front of large audiences was probably uncomfortable to
the scholarship folks... On the upside though, everyone knew who I was the
first day and it is very hard to be unique when everyone else is blind. Have
you ever wondered how it feels to be a perfectly normal person who has to
work to be remembered, here you get your chance! Everyone is talented,
everyone is going for the same goal and everyone is blind.
Do everything you are told, even if it sounds ridiculous and or way too much
work.
But know you can never loos! :D
Let me know if you want to talk and I can let you know what goes on in a
little more detail, and despite what I said above, there is times when it is
very fun. *points at Julie and our midnight singing sessions!*
Congrats again to everyone!

Brandon Keith Biggs