[Menvi-discuss] Music history textbooks

David Goldstein - Resource Center info2 at blindmusicstudent.org
Wed May 8 10:49:30 EDT 2013

There's nothing wrong with using audio when it's available.  I'd suggest you
check with Learning Ally.  They have done several music history books and
usually have someone at the piano to play parts of the score talked about,
or a simplified version, that illustrates what it is about the musical
passage that the book is drawing your attention to.  A score of a symphony
can be in several huge volumes, and even working with a short passage can be
awkward, because of all the lines for the orchestra instruments. Perhaps you
can be creative in suggesting assignments on, say, the use of woodwinds in a
particular movement, and specifically ask your student transcribers to do
them.  Student transcribers may have difficulty writing out parts for
multiple instruments, anyway.  When I studied English literature, I usually
opted to concentrate on peotry, which I could find in braille, but did the
longer reading using audio material.  That was before computers and
displays.  I might do things a little differently now, but I think the
principle still holds to get in braille what you can actually read and work
with, rather than tons of material from which you would be spending time
looking for just a few pages, while the rest are never touched.  I am
curious to know how Bookshare handles these.  I find so many things that
aren't quite right in regular materials that I'd want to be sure their
efforts in music would be usable.

David