[Menvi-discuss] Music history textbooks

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue May 7 23:57:23 EDT 2013

Hi Kelby,

I didn't think to look at Bookshare since I figured there would be
musical examples in it, but I will definitely go ahead and get it
there.  Thanks for the tip.  My prof is the type that would be totally
fine with it, although I may end up getting it in alternative format
just so if he says, "Read pages 30-45 for homework tonight," I'll be
able to do it without hunting through the book.  It might be good for
a little reading over the summer to get my feet wet though.
I'm more auditory too; I can read scores, but my prof understands that
reading braille music, much less a braille score, takes a lot more
time than it does for a sighted person, and that when a fast tempo
comes into play we can't just scan the page and keep up with
everything that is going on.  He has agreed to base my grade more on
auditory observation, as long as I can back up my arguments, and
instead of doing huge score analysis assignments he's just going to
give me extra listening ones.  We're planning on using the scores to
augment the listening, but getting every little detail by checking the
audio against the score won't be as heavily graded for me.
Guess the student transcribers will be kept very busy this year.  On
the plus for them I'm pretty sure I'll us these books in Mus hist and
lit 2 as well.

Kaiti