[Menvi-discuss] Guitar Method that Goes Beyond The First Book?

Bettie Downing bnbdowning70 at embarqmail.com
Fri May 3 09:45:04 EDT 2013


If you are in a school, have the school contact a transcriber and request the book.  The school will pay the transcriber.



On May 2, 2013, at 11:49 PM, Kaiti Shelton wrote:

> Hi all,
> 
> Chris: Perhaps.  That might make sense since more people would be
> likely to use the first editions than the second, third, or later
> ones.
> Bettie: The one I'm actually looking for is a book of Etudes.  The
> Standard of Excellence books are more like band warmups as opposed to
> solo technique studies.  The writer of the Rose books has a 32 and a
> 40 study; NLS said they could borrow the 40 study from somewhere else,
> (Possibly RNIB), but they did not have a brailled copy of the 32 study
> which is the one my teacher wants me to have.
> 
> On 5/2/13, Chris Smart <csmart8 at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>> MAYBE LOTS OF PEOPLE JUST NEVER PROGRESS BEYOND THE FIRST BOOKS IN
>> THESE SERIES?
>> 
>> 
>> At 07:20 PM 5/2/2013, you wrote:
>>> Definitely.  I'm going to ask them to commission another method book
>>> for clarinet (just like you're saying, I'm done with one ETude study
>>> and the next edition in the series isn't available in braille).
>>> Hopefully with input the method book section will expand.
>>> 
>>> On 5/2/13, Chris Smart <csmart8 at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>>> Hi Kaiti.
>>>> thanks for that. I'll see what I can do. the rest of the Berklee
>>>> method should be produced at least I think.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> At 04:49 PM 5/2/2013, you wrote:
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>> 
>>>>> I'm not sure if you can use the library of congress or not, so
>>> sorry
>>>>> if this is a moot point, but if you can use that you can
>>> contact them
>>>>> and ask for some more method books to be commissioned.  I saw a
>>> post
>>>>> on either this or another list a few days ago on a similar topic,
>>>>> (trumpet method books I believe), and that person was advised
>>> to take
>>>>> this step because the director is interested in expanding the
>>> section
>>>>> on method books and more modern material.  If this is an option for
>>>>> you I would be happy to hunt through threads and send you the guy's
>>>>> email.
>>>>> 
>>>>> On 5/2/13, Chris Smart <csmart8 at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>>>>> cool, thanks.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> At 11:43 AM 5/2/2013, you wrote:
>>>>>>> just for fun. you can learn more here
>>>>>>> <http://t.co/78Fz7ou6Fo>http://t.co/78Fz7ou6Fo
>>>>>>> hope that helps to answer a few of your questions about
>>> what i'm
>>>>>>> doing in regards to lessons
>>>>>>> god bless
>>>>>>> Timothy
>>>>>>> Your friend in the music industry
>>>>>>> bandcamp
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> <http://www.timothyclark13.bandcamp.com>http://www.timothyclark1
>>>>> 3.bandcamp.com
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> twitter
>>>>>>> @timothyclark13
>>>>>>> Skype
>>>>>>> djtimothy1
>>>>>>> facebooks
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> <http://www.facebook.com/timothyclark13>http://www.facebook.com/
>>>>> timothyclark13
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> http://www.facebook.com/timothyclarkmusic
>>>>>>> reverbnation
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> <http://www.reverbnation.com/timothyclark13>http://www.reverbnat
>>>>> ion.com/timothyclark13
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> youtube
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> <http://www.youtube.com/timothyclarkoffical>http://www.youtube.c
>>>>> om/timothyclarkoffical
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> phone
>>>>>>> 7244011224
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> On May 2, 2013, at 11:39 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> uh yes, i figured that. I'm not living in the US and
>>>>>>>> transcription is usually a few dollars per page.
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Tim, since you teach, are you doing this professionally or just
>>>>>>>> for fun?
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> At 11:31 AM 5/2/2013, you wrote:
>>>>>>>>> if you get the book in print and you contact the american
>>>>>>>>> printing house for the blind they can help you from there.
>>>>>>>>> hope this helps
>>>>>>>>> god bless
>>>>>>>>> Timothy
>>>>>>>>> Your friend in the music industry
>>>>>>>>> bandcamp
>>>>>>>>> <<http://www.timothyclark13.bandcamp.com>http://www.timothycla
>>>>> rk13.bandcamp.com>http://www.timothyclark13.bandcamp.com
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> twitter
>>>>>>>>> @timothyclark13
>>>>>>>>> Skype
>>>>>>>>> djtimothy1
>>>>>>>>> facebooks
>>>>>>>>> <<http://www.facebook.com/timothyclark13>http://www.facebook.c
>>>>> om/timothyclark13>http://www.facebook.com/timothyclark13
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> <http://www.facebook.com/timothyclarkmusic>http://www.facebook
>>>>> .com/timothyclarkmusic
>>>>>>>>> reverbnation
>>>>>>>>> <<http://www.reverbnation.com/timothyclark13>http://www.reverb
>>>>> 
>>> nation.com/timothyclark13>http://www.reverbnation.com/timothyclark13
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> youtube
>>>>>>>>> <<http://www.youtube.com/timothyclarkoffical>http://www.youtub
>>>>> 
>>> e.com/timothyclarkoffical>http://www.youtube.com/timothyclarkoffical
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> phone
>>>>>>>>> 7244011224
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> On May 2, 2013, at 10:40 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Hi folks.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> As a teacher of sighted guitar students, most of them
>>> kids, I'm
>>>>>>>>>> having a heck of a time finding one of the popular method
>>> book
>>>>>>>>>> series in Braille that goes beyond the first book in its
>>> series.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> With adults, I would just use the first of the so-called
>>>>>>>>>> Berklee books, A Modern Method for Guitar Volume 1, by
>>> William
>>>>>>>>>> G. Leavitt. Before page 30 you're into tied and dotted notes,
>>>>>>>>>> rests, chords etc. For adults, it presents more material
>>>>>>>>>> quickly than anything else. It's excellent.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> However, I'm having trouble finding Braille for anything
>>> I can
>>>>>>>>>> use with younger people.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Will Schmid, hal Leonard Method: only book one seems
>>> available.
>>>>>>>>>> This appears well organized, but I have at least one
>>> 7-year-old
>>>>>>>>>> who would benefit from book 2, since she can already read
>>>>> the basics.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Mel Bay: similar story. One of their particularly old method
>>>>>>>>>> books is available, but only the first book, which is very
>>>>> basic.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Is anyone else in my position and what have you done to
>>> address
>>>>>>>>>> this problem?
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> I refuse to just tab everything and short-change my
>>> students by
>>>>>>>>>> not teaching them how to read actual music notation.
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Thanks for any suggestions,
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Chris
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> --------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>> CTS MASTERING, affordable and professional mixing and
>>>>>>>>>> mastering:
>>>>>>>>>> <<http://www.ctsmastering.com>http://www.ctsmastering.com>htt
>>>>> p://www.ctsmastering.com
>>>>>>>>>> Twitter:
>>>>>>>>>> <<https://twitter.com/#!/CTSMASTERING>https://twitter.com/#!/
>>>>> CTSMASTERING>https://twitter.com/#!/CTSMASTERING
>>>>>>>>>> BLOG:
>>>>>>>>>> <<http://www.ctsmastering.com/blog>http://www.ctsmastering.co
>>>>> m/blog>www.ctsmastering.com/blog
>>>>>>>>>> Linked In:
>>>>>>>>>> <<http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/chris-smart/46/824/536>http://ca
>>>>> 
>>> .linkedin.com/pub/chris-smart/46/824/536>http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/chris-smart/46/824/536
>>>>>>>>>> Dropbox, Share Files Easily:
>>>>>>>>>> <<http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt>http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt>http://db.tt/b
>>> Q2GuIt
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>>> Thank you for subscribing to MENVI.  Should you wish to
>>>>>>>>>> unsubscribe, change your delivery, or set any other options
>>>>>>>>>> available to you, please view the list information page
>>>>>>>>>> below.  Should you have any questions, please contact the
>>> owner
>>>>>>>>>> of the list.
>>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>>> Menvi-discuss mailing list
>>>>>>>>>> <<mailto:Menvi-discuss at menvi.org>mailto:Menvi-discuss at menvi.o
>>>>> rg><mailto:Menvi-discuss at menvi.org>Menvi-discuss at menvi.org
>>>>>>>>>> <http://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org>ht
>>>>> tp://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org
>>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>>> Thank you for subscribing to MENVI.  Should you wish to
>>>>>>>>> unsubscribe, change your delivery, or set any other options
>>>>>>>>> available to you, please view the list information page
>>>>>>>>> below.  Should you have any questions, please contact the
>>> owner
>>>>>>>>> of the list.
>>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>>> Menvi-discuss mailing list
>>>>>>>>> <mailto:Menvi-discuss at menvi.org>Menvi-discuss at menvi.org
>>>>>>>>> http://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> --------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>> CTS MASTERING, affordable and professional mixing and
>>> mastering:
>>>>>>>> <http://www.ctsmastering.com>http://www.ctsmastering.com
>>>>>>>> Twitter:
>>>>>>>> <https://twitter.com/#!/CTSMASTERING>https://twitter.com/#!/CTS
>>>>> MASTERING
>>>>>>>> BLOG:
>>> <http://www.ctsmastering.com/blog>www.ctsmastering.com/blog
>>>>>>>> Linked In:
>>>>>>>> <http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/chris-smart/46/824/536>http://ca.li
>>>>> nkedin.com/pub/chris-smart/46/824/536
>>>>>>>> Dropbox, Share Files Easily:
>>>>>>>> <http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt>http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>> Thank you for subscribing to MENVI.  Should you wish to
>>>>>>>> unsubscribe, change your delivery, or set any other options
>>>>>>>> available to you, please view the list information page
>>>>>>>> below.  Should you have any questions, please contact the owner
>>>>>>>> of the list.
>>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>>> Menvi-discuss mailing list
>>>>>>>> <mailto:Menvi-discuss at menvi.org>Menvi-discuss at menvi.org
>>>>>>>> http://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org
>>>>>>> 
>>>>>>> Thank you for subscribing to MENVI.  Should you wish to
>>>>>>> unsubscribe, change your delivery, or set any other options
>>>>>>> available to you, please view the list information page
>>>>>>> below.  Should you have any questions, please contact the
>>> owner of
>>>>>>> the list.
>>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>>> Menvi-discuss mailing list
>>>>>>> Menvi-discuss at menvi.org
>>>>>>> http://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> --------------------------------------------------
>>>>>> CTS MASTERING, affordable and professional mixing and mastering:
>>>>>> http://www.ctsmastering.com
>>>>>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/CTSMASTERING
>>>>>> BLOG: www.ctsmastering.com/blog
>>>>>> Linked In: http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/chris-smart/46/824/536
>>>>>> Dropbox, Share Files Easily: http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Thank you for subscribing to MENVI.  Should you wish to
>>>>> unsubscribe, change
>>>>>> your delivery, or set any other options available to you,
>>>>> please view the
>>>>>> list information page below.  Should you have any questions,
>>>>> please contact
>>>>>> the owner of the list.
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> Menvi-discuss mailing list
>>>>>> Menvi-discuss at menvi.org
>>>>>> http://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org
>>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> 
>>>>> --
>>>>> Kaiti
>>>>> 
>>>>> Thank you for subscribing to MENVI.  Should you wish to
>>>>> unsubscribe, change your delivery, or set any other options
>>>>> available to you, please view the list information page
>>>>> below.  Should you have any questions, please contact the owner of
>>>>> the list.
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Menvi-discuss mailing list
>>>>> Menvi-discuss at menvi.org
>>>>> http://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org
>>>> 
>>>> --------------------------------------------------
>>>> CTS MASTERING, affordable and professional mixing and mastering:
>>>> http://www.ctsmastering.com
>>>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/CTSMASTERING
>>>> BLOG: www.ctsmastering.com/blog
>>>> Linked In: http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/chris-smart/46/824/536
>>>> Dropbox, Share Files Easily: http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Thank you for subscribing to MENVI.  Should you wish to
>>> unsubscribe, change
>>>> your delivery, or set any other options available to you,
>>> please view the
>>>> list information page below.  Should you have any questions,
>>> please contact
>>>> the owner of the list.
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Menvi-discuss mailing list
>>>> Menvi-discuss at menvi.org
>>>> http://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org
>>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> --
>>> Kaiti
>>> 
>>> Thank you for subscribing to MENVI.  Should you wish to
>>> unsubscribe, change your delivery, or set any other options
>>> available to you, please view the list information page
>>> below.  Should you have any questions, please contact the owner of
>>> the list.
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Menvi-discuss mailing list
>>> Menvi-discuss at menvi.org
>>> http://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org
>> 
>> --------------------------------------------------
>> CTS MASTERING, affordable and professional mixing and mastering:
>> http://www.ctsmastering.com
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/CTSMASTERING
>> BLOG: www.ctsmastering.com/blog
>> Linked In: http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/chris-smart/46/824/536
>> Dropbox, Share Files Easily: http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt
>> 
>> 
>> Thank you for subscribing to MENVI.  Should you wish to unsubscribe, change
>> your delivery, or set any other options available to you, please view the
>> list information page below.  Should you have any questions, please contact
>> the owner of the list.
>> _______________________________________________
>> Menvi-discuss mailing list
>> Menvi-discuss at menvi.org
>> http://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org
>> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Kaiti
> 
> Thank you for subscribing to MENVI.  Should you wish to unsubscribe, change your delivery, or set any other options available to you, please view the list information page below.  Should you have any questions, please contact the owner of the list.
> _______________________________________________
> Menvi-discuss mailing list
> Menvi-discuss at menvi.org
> http://menvi.org/mailman/listinfo/menvi-discuss_menvi.org





More information about the Menvi-discuss mailing list