[Menvi-discuss] Ergent, can someone explain the harmonic series in words, in the next fewhours.

Dewald van Deventer dewaldvandeventer at gmail.com
Thu May 2 01:12:31 EDT 2013

Hello.
Here is a good explanation:
I'm busy learning piano tuning, so it's important to know!

Harmonics are derived from parts of the vibrating body, like a string to
vibrate.
If you take one string, and divide it in half, put your finger lightly
on it, you would hear an octave of the same note above.

The string divides in half, 1/3, 1/4 etc. etc.

So here is the actual pattern:

Lets work with the note C:

C, c octave above, G, C, E, G, B-flat, C, C-sharp.

This pattern is the same on every note.

Of course the harmonics goes on and on. These are only 9, but they are
the most important to know about.

Hope this helps.

Dewald

--