[Menvi-discuss] Locating Opera Libretti

Kelby Carlson kelbycarlson at gmail.com
Wed May 1 16:45:14 EDT 2013

Hey everyone!

This is going to sound like a rather silly question to those of
you who are also voice majors.  I don't listen to a lot of opera
outside of something I'm working on or assignments in classes,
and one of the reasons for this is because I'm not fluent in any
foreign languages.  This isn't as much the case with art song,
but following a 3-hour Verdi extravaganza in which you can't
understand any of the words can get a little dull (and as much as
I appreciate the music, I don't want to just skip to all of the
arias.) With that said, does anyone know a good place where
accessible opera libretti and translations can be found so that I
can enjoy more operas?

Kelby S.  Carlson

Vanderbilt University