[Menvi-discuss] hybrid picking

Chris Smart csmart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Dec 18 10:54:07 EST 2012

Timothy, I think it's more a matter of what sound you want. a  pick
usually gives a crisper attack compared to the flesh of fingertips.
Of course, this is less of an issue if you are using your nails.

Typically if picking a whole chord all at the same instant, so
there is no strum, just the chord starting all at once, your pick
plays the bottom note and your remaining fingers pluck the other
notes of the chord. If you were playing a root position C major
chord, your pick would get the C on the fifth string, and your
remaining fingers would get the fourth third and second strings, or
maybe the third through first strings.

Anyway, there is no right or wrong way, only what works for you and
gets you the sounds you want to hear. If you want to use thumb and
fingers and no pick, go for it. It works for lots of people just
fine. You asked about hybrid picking, which I was attempting to
describe.