[Menvi-discuss] hybrid picking

Chris Smart csmart8 at cogeco.ca
Mon Dec 17 14:38:55 EST 2012

Hi there.

Well, the idea is that your pick or a thumb pick hits one note,
usually the root of a chord, while your finger or fingers hit other
notes in the chord. The benefit to this technique is that you can
get the notes to sound simultaneously, as a block chord. Then, when
it comes time to solo or play single notes, your pick is still in
your hand.

If you are really interested in this technique and have a decent
sighted teacher to help you, Gustavo Assis-Brasil's book Hybrid
Picking for Guitar thoroughly explores this technique. The first
half of the book is comprised of exercises, and the second half is
music of various kinds, including some twelve-tone stuff.  Again,
you'll need a sighted person to read the notation or you'll have to
get someone to transcribe it into Braille.

Chris

Chris