[Menvi-discuss] Confessions of an Unlikely Chorale Member , By Amy Green

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 20:38:51 EST 2012

Hello,
I am singing with a group of guys and I'm the only bass. There are 2 or 3
people on every other part and it is just me on the bass line. I finally got
my music yesterday and sang for the first time with music. I really found
that reading the notes was a lot of fake it till you make it, I am not a
fast Braille Reader and with 3 lines to every music line, life was quite fun
when it came to moving along in the song. I t wasn't 100% sight singing as
it was Christmas tunes, but the harmonies were totally new to me. I found
that I really had to be totally in tune (laugh) with everyone so I wasn't
pulling out any minor seconds or changing the key on anyone. I love being a
bass because we have these parts that like singing do, mi and sol very
repetitively, but the challenge is hearing the chord before it is sung and
if you are lost, fit in a note and pray it fits.
I totally recommend singing in small quartets and practice being the only
one holding your line. It is not for perfectionists that's for sure! :)
I would love to hear if other people have had small group singing
experiences reading their music while singing.
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs