[Menvi-discuss] braham's requiem and question about nls

David Goldstein - Resource Center info2 at blindmusicstudent.org
Tue Dec 11 11:33:56 EST 2012

Hi everyone, and a big hi to Rashad whom I'm looking forward to catching up with soon.
Regarding Kelsey's question, about getting in touch with the Music section, if it's a general question, you are often better off sending mail to the Music Section's general mailbox, which is nlsm at loc.gov.  There are several people who work there and know the collection, so we don't always have to burden Mr. Hanson.  I think it's best if a member does all the communicating, rather than the teacher.  Howeverif there are several choices of books, you could ask the teacher whether he would like to see the offerings in the catalog.  You couldn't have him use Bard, because that requires a password, but the regular Union Catalog is accessible to everyone.  I usually suggest people go to www.loc.gov/nls and find the link that says "quick search of the online catalog."  From there, the teacher can type the author or composer into the author field and the title or piece into the title field and see what comes up.

You might want to get into the mindset of doing as much as you can on your own, and just telling the teacher what the choices are.  Everybody appreciates it when time can be kept to a minimum and may be more cooperative when a question comes up that you really can't do the legwork for on your own.

David