[Menvi-discuss] Greek music?

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonboy13 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 24 01:33:26 EDT 2012

Hello,
I thought the Greeks were like a couple hundred years BCE? wouldn’t it be more Roman music after that? Then around 1-1000 AD you have the numes and chant and all that stuff, then you got the Gregorian chant and troubadours until Bach I believe...
If I  recall Greek notation is really rare and we don’t know what they are talking about. except we think they were the first people to use Opera. In my music history class I was told it looked complicated and not something just anyone could sing and I just left it at that. I’m not even sure if it’s even worth looking at the one piece from Syria in 1400 BCE, but that’s not Greek.
I really don’t think Braille would do those old notations Justus as there is  no way to translate that we know of.
But forward a couple hundred or a thousand years, it would be neat to read some Machaup music, but that’s probably numes.
I just look at Carmina Buana and imagine that old music sounded like that...
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs