[Menvi-discuss] Color references and other sight-related material

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonboy13 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 18 23:55:55 EDT 2012

Hello,
VI users kind of feel a little superior to sighted people when it comes to reading entry level books because they don’t have to memorize all the clefs, so when their mates are struggling with note identification the blind person is already doing sight singing.
So what ever you do I would keep that in mind. In an introduction to music for the blind student, the student is asked to make a cheetsheet so they are able to read off that sheet each time they encounter the dynamic mark. Because students are able to keep their place with one hand and read the cheetsheet with another, this is ideal.
I have no idea what the “Flying blind” exercises. But I would say somewhere that you are adapting this book for blind users. Also wouldn’t it be more prudent to ask the student to rewrite the examples rather than telling their teacher? Because aren’t the books meant for students to read on their own?
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs