[Menvi-discuss] Color references and other sight-related material

Lydia Machell lydia.machell at primavistamusic.com
Tue Apr 17 03:02:00 EDT 2012

I'm producing braille editions of the Piano Adventures teaching series and there are instances where the text needs to be adapted for VI users. For instance, where the student is asked to circle items in a piece, or fill in blanks on the page, we have replaced the instruction with "show your teacher...". These are just practical considerations. But what about a piece that asks the student to "choose a color for each dynamic mark"? Or memory exercises referred to as "Blind Flying"?  As a publisher, should our principle be to show braille users exactly what's in the print, or should we adapt the contents for our market?  The first approach may make us seem insensitive, while the latter could seem patronising. We just want to get these excellent resources out there in the most user-friendly form.

Lydia Machell (Prima Vista Braille Music Services)