[Menvi-discuss] Singing Question

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 01:59:16 EDT 2012

Hi.

Memorizing is definitely  what I would do.  I memorize everything that
I sing at church anyway because I think braille is awkward on stage
when I have to sing a solo, and I pick up choir music quickly.  If I
need words, I use my braille note in the first rehearsal and then get
myself used to doing things memorized.  Likewise, you could use your
lyrics at choir rehearsal and work on memorizing at home.

I agree with the others about braille.  It would help give you cues.
Even if you aren't the fastest braille reader, you could emboss your
lyrics in braille or type them out on a brailler in a way that you
could use them.  When I have lyrics in front of me, and I know a piece
very well, I will sometimes only look at the beginnings of lines or
certain parts that I have trouble with.

Hope this helps.