[Menvi-discuss] Primer of Braille Music

Data data at papermusic.org
Sat Apr 14 11:27:56 EDT 2012

I've seen 64th notes in piano music by Liszt and Chopin, but I don't think
I've ever seen a 128th or 256th note. But, of course, theoretically it's
possible.
Some people might argue why these note values would ever be used, but the
value of the note can affect other things than just the duration of the
note. Psychologically, the value of the note affects things like attack,
expression, and just the general sense of urgency (or lack thereof) in the
piece.
Think on the other end of the spectrum.
If you see a half note at quarter equals 120 and a whole note at 240, you're
more likely to give the whole note more gravitas, even though both notes
have the same duration.
So, 64th notes at 60 will be more fleeting and lighter than 32nd notes at
120.
This is also one of the reasons why a composer might choose to write in 4/2
time (half equals 120), rather than 4/4 time (quarter equals 120). Seeing
all those longer note values changes the musicians perspective on the piece.
-Andy English
www.papermusic.org
Music consultation and transcription services.