[Menvi-discuss] Off-Topic: Mac and VoiceOver

ethnerd ethnerd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 13:31:56 EDT 2012

Hello David!

Thank you for the great and informative reply. I have been using Macs for
years and I love my iMac. I have never really investigated VoiceOver
because it doesn't seem to work with my browser of choice (Firefox), and I
was always told that Rachel HAD to have a PC and that she HAD to use Jaws.
However, and maybe it's because I'm not made of money, it has been a real
trial just trying to get her up and running with Sonar on her PC. We have
an older version of Sonar. It wouldn't run with the version of Jaws we had
on that computer. So we upgraged (thanks to a benefactor) Jaws. I'm still
trying to work out some bugs with that. Loaded the version of Sonar we had,
then had to go online to upgrade it to a newer version. Then David Pinto,
who is the person who took the initiative to write the scripts for Sonar
and Sibelius, had to search his archives to find the scripts for that
version. Got him onto Rachel's computer via remote getting some kind of
internal stuff set up... I mean, it goes on and on and on and it feels like
it will never be running. Ever. I mean, God love David Pinto, he is an
angel, but if we can switch her to Mac and have it all built into the
computer...

A very kind benefactor who is also a blind musician is giving Rachel a
MacMini and GarageBand. I know that GarageBand and Sonar are not the same,
but at least it will work. Right out of the box. And she will have
something that is usable to get her ideas down until either we get
everything finally all working at the same time on her PC, or someone takes
the initiative to write the scripts (or do whatever it takes) to make Sonar
and Sibelius accessible on the Mac.

Not sure when she will be getting the equipment, but I'll certainly post to
the group once we get it going and let you all know what she thinks of it.

jeanie